The Memorial Gardens have been landscaped adjacent to Meadow Cottages, they are the sole remaining buildings to survive
the closure of Meadow Colliery as a Coal producing Mine, circa 1913. Originally conveyed to their deeds on March 27th 1848
by John Anstice and William Reynolds Anstice of The Madeley Wood Company, they were utilised variously as
administration offices and even stabling for the Pit Ponies. Annexed to the property are the old "Pit Baths" now converted to vehicle lock-ups.
The Mine began its operational wind-down with the opening of the nearby Kemberton site, whose spoils were still deposited here
to help form what is now Meadow Pit Mound. The entire site was auctioned off in 1926. The Mound was conveyed to The
Borough of Wenlock, which governed the district at the time, whilst "The Cottages" were purchased by Mr William Phillips
, of Ironbridge along with 180 square metres of Land.
The Telford Development Corporation during its regeneration period of 1968/1992, allowed many local buildings to be removed
to the Blist's Hill Museum, Meadow Cottages almost met with the same "fate", before it was realised they belonged to Mr Phillips's
estate. Many of the roof tiles "escaped" to join the museum's quest for originality, in 1979 the Cottages underwent extensive
renovation, whilst much of the land was "plundered". A concerted effort is now underway to restore "Lot 59", to its original status.
The walling in the gardens were built from bricks originally used for the cottages and were actually kilned at the Meadow Pit, from clay excavated
In 1998 the author was able to "purchase" the deeds for the "re-claimed" garden site, adjacent to Meadow Cottages, off the newly established Telford & Wrekin Unitary Authority